We encourage all students to either borrow or rent their equipment until they get more familiar with all of the different types of equipment available. It is also important to get familiar with your equipment prior to going on a hike/backpack.
Below is a list of the "Ten Essentials", the items that every hiker should carry in his or her pack at all times, and also other items that we think you should consider bringing on your trips. Please note that there is no absolute list. Every hike brings its own challenges, and may require different types of equipment. But we hope this list will help you think through what you think you may need to have a safe and enjoyable experience.
The Ten Essentials
- Navigation (map and compass)
- Sun protection (sunglasses, sunscreen, hat)
- Insulation (clothing)
- Illumination (headlamp, flashlight)
- First aid kit
- Fire starter (matches, lighter)
- Repair kit (knife, tools)
- Nutrition (extra food)
- Hydration (extra water)
- Emergency shelter (raingear, poncho, space blanket)